- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups mixed diced root vegetables (onions, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, etc.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (14-ounce can) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup small pasta of choice (macaroni, spaghetti broken into 1-inch pieces, etc.)
- 1 (14-ounce) can bean of choice (red, cannellini, etc.), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped winter greens of choice (spinach, kale, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs or prepared pesto (basil, oregano, parsley, etc.)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add root vegetables and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in beans and greens during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Season to taste with herbs or pesto, salt and pepper. Serve hot garnished with Parmesan cheese.