- 1 pound cooked salmon, chilled and flaked
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions or shallots
- 1/4 cup finely diced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried herbs (parsley, thyme, green onion), divided
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- High-heat oil or cooking spray (optional)
In a large bowl, combine salmon, onions or shallots, peppers, carrots, 3 tablespoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried herbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, egg, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs. Gently form into 8 patties; refrigerate or freeze until just firm.
Meanwhile, combine sour cream, remaining herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl to form a sauce.
Put remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Press salmon cakes into crumbs to coat both sides.
To fry cakes: Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon cakes and cook until golden brown and heated through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
To bake cakes: Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray with cooking spray and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 5 minutes. Flip cakes over and continue to bake until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Broil for an additional 2 minutes for a crunchy crust.
Serve salmon cakes with a dollop of herbed sour cream.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member