- 1/2 cup unbleached flour, or half unbleached and half whole-wheat
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 whole egg and 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil (plus additional butter for the pan)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (use fresh raspberries, blueberries or any combination of berries in the summer)
- 1 cup cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Powdered sugar, for garnishing
Sift flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Beat egg, egg white and milk together in a bowl. Add melted butter or oil and vanilla. Combine egg mixture with dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
Heat an 8-inch skillet over medium heat until moderately hot. Lightly grease the pan with a butter-coated pastry brush. Pour in just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan, about 1/4 cup. Immediately tilt skillet back and forth to spread batter thinly and evenly. Cook each crepe over medium heat until light brown on the bottom and firm to the touch on top. Loosen edges with a spatula. Turn and brown the second side.
Lay each crêpe flat on a dessert plate. Spread the berries on one side of the crêpe, covering about 1/3 of the surface. Then spread 2 tablespoons whipped cream over the berries and roll the crêpe, starting with the berry side. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar and garnish with additional cream and berries.
You can store any unused crêpes between layers of waxed paper carefully placed in a resealable bag or a freezer-proof container.