- 1 1/2 pounds prawns - shelled, deveined, rinsed and patted dry (keep chilled until use)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
For fried rice
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tightly packed cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1 cup diced ripe, fresh pineapple
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, or to taste
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Soy sauce (optional)
To grill prawns
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a bowl, mix prawns with oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Grill prawns for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until opaque. Remove from grill and set aside.
To make fried rice
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Stir in beaten eggs and scramble in oil until firm, breaking into small pieces. Remove eggs from wok and set aside.
Reheat wok and add remaining oil. When oil is hot, add ginger and cook for 1 minute. Take care not to burn the ginger. Stir in all vegetables and cook for another minute. Add curry powder and stir-fry until well combined. Add rice and stir-fry until rice is heated through.
Add grilled prawns, eggs and pineapple to wok. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir-fry for another 1 to 2 minutes, mixing all ingredients well. Sprinkle green onions on top. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with or without soy sauce.