- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 lemon, zested
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 2 whole eggs, divided
- 1 pound baking apples, cored and sliced
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest and salt in a mixing bowl; stir to combine. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until pieces are the size of peas. Add 1 egg and stir until dough is almost gathered. Press dough into a 9 1/2-inch tart pan.
Layer apples over dough in the tart pan. In a bowl, combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and whole egg, egg yolks, kirsch, vanilla and 2 tablespoons flour. Stir in cream and pour mixture over apples.
Bake until set, about 60 minutes. Cool and dust with powdered sugar.