- Canola or sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cut into 10 strips
- Salt, to taste
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 mangos, medium dice
- 1 fresh jalapeño or Serrano chile pepper, cut into very thin strips
- 2 to 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 heaping tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 splashes white or red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add enough oil to a large fry pan to cover the surface. Heat oil to medium-hot and fry tempeh strips on both sides until lightly browned. Set aside on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt. Remove excess oil from the pan so you have approximately 1 tablespoon left.
Add onions to pan and sauté until lightly browned. Add mango and chile peppers; cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until fruit is very soft.
Add wine and cook until wine is absorbed or reduced. Stir in sugar; cook for an additional 30 seconds. Arrange over tempeh strips, sprinkle with cilantro and season with vinegar and black pepper.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member