- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 ribs celery, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package tempeh, cut into 4 pieces (cut length and width wise)
- 1 cup white wine or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered vegetable soup base
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a small bowl, mix mustard powder with just enough water to make a paste and set aside.
In a steamer, cook carrots, celery and bell peppers for 5 minutes, or until just tender but still slightly crunchy; set aside.
In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add tempeh and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crisped and golden brown. Set aside on a plate layered with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
In the same hot pan, add wine and stir to scrape up any bits of browned tempeh. Add soup base and mix well. Stir a tablespoon or two of pan liquid into mustard mixture and then add entire mustard mixture to pan. Stir well and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from heat, add honey, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
Top tempeh with vegetables and drizzle sauce over top.