- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti or linguine pasta
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed and stalks cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, until al dente, according to package directions. Add asparagus and peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse briefly under cool water. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour to create a thick paste. Slowly whisk milk in to the flour mixture in a steady stream. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, to thicken sauce. Whisk in Parmesan cheese until sauce is thick and creamy. Stir in cooked ham; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add reserved pasta, asparagus and peas. Gently mix to coat pasta in sauce and heat through. Divide pasta between four bowls and top with parsley and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member