- 2 cups butter, divided, plus extra for pan
- 4 Golden Delicious, Fuji or Granny Smith apples - peeled, quartered, cored and thickly sliced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh cranberries, divided
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cognac, brandy or whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Place apples and lemon zest in the dish and set aside.
Combine 3/4 pound cranberries with granulated sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until cranberries begin to pop. Remove from the heat and pour over sliced apples and lemon zest. Blend gently with a wooden spoon.
Combine oats, flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Cut 1/2 cup butter into the mixture using two forks, a pastry cutter or your fingers. The mixture should resemble pea-sized pieces. Toss in remaining 3/4 pound cranberries. Sprinkle on top of the filling.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until topping is browned and filling is bubbling. Remove and allow to cool until slightly warm.
Cream remaining 1 1/2 cups butter and powdered sugar in an electric mixing bowl on medium speed. Add liquor and vanilla. Blend thoroughly. Keep at room temperature, covered, until ready to use.