- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for dish
- 6 ounces cured Spanish chorizo or salami, chopped
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped, including leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tart apples, cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups crumbled day-old cornbread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 3 cups chicken broth
Preheat oven to 375° F. Generously butter a 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until crisp. Add shallots and celery, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, apples and thyme. Cook, stirring, until apples are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until absorbed, about 1 minute. Season heavily with salt and pepper.
Transfer chorizo mixture to a large bowl. Using a large spatula, stir in cornbread, eggs and parsley. Add enough chicken broth to moisten cornbread, tossing lightly to combine.
Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until hot in the center and golden brown on top, an additional 10 to 20 minutes.
Make ahead: Keep dressing, unbaked and tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Drizzle with extra chicken broth to moisten, and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member