- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian chicken sausage
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepared gnocchi or pasta, for serving (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook sausage, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with broth.
Add crushed tomatoes and simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes. Stir in basil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Serve over prepared gnocchi or pasta and sprinkle with cheese.