- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion or leek, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups dry white beans, such as navy or cannellini or 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 1 large white potato, washed and diced
- 4 cups water or stock, mixed with reserved bean cooking liquid (if available)
- Bouquet Garni
- 1 bunch fresh greens such as collard, kale, spinach or chard, thinly sliced
- Splash of fresh lemon juice
- Grated cheese, for garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onions or leeks until just beginning to brown on the edges. Add chopped carrots and celery and sauté 2 minutes.
Add beans, diced potatoes, water or stock, Bouquet Garni and greens. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove Bouquet Garni from the soup and discard.
Serve with lemon juice and grated cheese for garnish. Freezes very well.
For dry beans: soak beans overnight, rinse and drain. Cook either for 1 hour on the stove or in the pressure cooker (reserve the water in which the beans were cooked).
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member