- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water, as needed
- 1 ripe avocado, split and pitted
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
Heat oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, in batches if necessary, until browned, about 7 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add onions; cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder and chiles. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Return chicken to the pot and add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons lime juice and sugar. Add enough stock or water to cover chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare avocado cream by combining avocado, yogurt or sour cream, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until smooth (or mash by hand).
Serve chipotle chicken with chopped cilantro, avocado cream and brown rice.