- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 dried chipotle pepper or a pinch of chipotle powder
- Broken crisp tortilla chips
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, for serving
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- Fresh lime wedges, for serving
Ina soup pot, sauté onions, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeño over medium heat in oil until just soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano and cumin. Add chicken, stock, tomatoes and chipotle pepper or powder.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle chips on top of each ladled bowl of soup. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, chopped avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member