- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Diced carrots, celery, leeks and parsnips remaining from soup recipe
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- Diced chicken breast meat, remaining from soup recipe
- 1 cup each frozen corn and peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons herbs (lemon thyme, parsley, dill and sage)
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- Pepper , to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté carrots, celery, leeks, parsnips and potatoes until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add a little broth if the pan dries out. Scatter 2 tablespoons flour over vegetables and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Slowly add remaining broth. Stir in chicken, corn and peas. Let this mixture simmer slowly while you prepare the crust.
Combine 1 cup flour and ½ teaspoon salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or your fingers until evenly incorporated. Add water, using a fork to quickly combine. Gather the dough with your hands and pat into a ball. Roll out on a lightly floured board a little larger than your pie or cake pan.
Stir in herbs, salt and pepper to filling. Pour filling into the pan, top with crust and bake until top browns, about 30 minutes.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member