- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup long grain white rice or other grain
- 1 2/3 cups water (or amount needed to cook grain)
- 1 cup halved, pitted Bing or Lapin cherries (about 30 cherries)
Heat olive oil in heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, like a Dutch oven. Sear chicken pieces until lightly browned all over, remove from pan, and add onions to the pan. Cook onions until almost tender, adding cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.
Add grain to the pan, stirring to mix with onions. Add chicken back to pan, stirring again. Add water. Bring to boil, cover, and turn down to simmer. Cook until grain is almost tender. Add cherries about 5 minutes before grain is done.
Remove pot from the stove and let sit, covered for 1 to 2 minutes to “rest.” Serve this dish warm.
Suggestions for grains: Brown basmati-style rice, millet. Adjust liquid amount and cooking time for the grain you choose.