- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cups water, vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound buckwheat noodles, broken in half
- 1/4 pound baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic, onions and water or stock in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and add whole chicken breasts. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken and cool.
Return soup to a boil and add buckwheat noodles. Cook noodles until al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred chicken breast meat.
When noodles are cooked, return chicken to the stockpot. Stir in spinach, parsley, chives and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.