- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 7 to 8 carrots, scrubbed and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add broth and carrots and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and then puree mixture in batches in a blender or food processor. (You may also use an immersion blender directly in the pot.)
Return pureed carrot mixture to the pot. Add curry paste, chili sauce, tamari and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, cilantro and lime juice. Adjust seasonings with more curry paste or tamari.
Serve drizzled with a bit of coconut milk and lime wedges on the side.