- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth, as needed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper, to taste
In a saucepan set over medium heat, sauté squash, apples and onions in oil for about 5 minutes or until some deep brown color develops. Add ginger and garlic and stir for 1 minute more.
Add remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil. Promptly reduce the heat, cover and cook until squash is soft, about 30 minutes.
Pureé in a blender or food processor. Serve with crusty bread or croutons.
For a more robust flavor, cut squash in half, rub with oil and salt and roast cut side down in a 375° F oven until soft. Add to the sautéed onions and apples, and let cook for a shorter time.