- 10 to 12 large Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice or sherry wine vinegar, to taste
Trim the outer leaves from Brussels sprouts and run through the 4-millimeter slicing blade of your food processor. (Or just cut them into thin slices, crosswise, with a knife.)
In a large sauté pan, combine butter and oil over medium heat and add squash. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until squash is tender. Add Brussels sprouts, garlic, hazelnuts and sage. Drizzle with a little additional olive oil if you think necessary. Cook, stirring frequently, until sprouts begin to caramelize and are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Toss in cranberries.
Season with salt and pepper and a splash of lemon juice or vinegar. Serve warm from the pan or at room temperature.