- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 large beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or other high-heat oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (Pimenton)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine (rioja, burgundy, zinfandel, syrah)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 cup sliced Spanish green olives
Salt and pepper the ribs and brown in oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot until well browned. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add onions and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until well cooked.
Add paprika and tomato paste; cook 1 to 2 minutes, being careful to not burn. Add wine and bay leaf and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add stock and short ribs to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Cook slightly covered (lid should be vented) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling from the bone. Add olives to the pot and adjust for salt and pepper.