This is an irresistible combination of flavorful shrimp, balsamic-roasted tomatoes, smoky bacon and piquant remoulade, perfect for holiday entertaining.
- About 20 cherry tomatoes (plus extra for snacking)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 8 large raw shrimp (16-20’s), peeled and deveined, tail on
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice blend (available in bulk, or substitute 1 bay leaf and a few peppercorns)
- Remoulade Sauce
- 1/4 cup (about 40 stems) microgreens, such as radish, mustard or “spicy blend”
- 3-inch matchsticks of various vegetables, such as celery, carrot, broccoli, red bell pepper, zucchini, etc. (optional)
- 2 lemon slices, each cut into 4 wedges
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cut tomatoes in half and toss with vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast until sticky and brown around the edges, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Place bacon on a separate baking sheet and roast until crispy and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels and cut in half crosswise.
Bring a small pot of well-salted water and pickling spices to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and thoroughly chill shrimp.
To compose: Place a dollop of Remoulade Sauce in the bottom of 8 shot glasses, sake cups, martini glasses or wonton spoons. Layer each with microgreens and bacon (and matchstick veggies if using). Top each with 1 shrimp, 5 tomato halves and a dash more sauce, if desired. Garnish with a tiny wedge of lemon.