- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced red or sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 cup watercress or other bitter greens of your choice (roughly chopped if larger leaves)
In a large saucepan, heat water or broth, barley and salt over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer until barley is cooked and tender, about 45 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil and vinegar; stir in garlic. Add onions, cranberries, watercress or greens and cooked barley. Stir well. This is delicious served warm or chilled.