- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup red or black quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 4 tablespoons exta virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 cooked beets, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/3 red onion, chopped
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or mint, chopped
Toast pumpkin seeds in a preheated 250º F oven for about 20 minutes, until lightly toasted.
Place quinoa in a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer with lid on for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let quinoa sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen with a fork.
Combine vinegar, tamari, oil and salt in a small mixing bowl.
Combine beets, quinoa, fennel and onions in a mixing bowl. Add arugula and basil or mint and toss with dressing. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds. This salad can be served warm or cold.