- 4 firm apples
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon blended with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Peel away 1/2 inch of the peel around the stem end of each apple. Using a melon baller or small, sturdy spoon, scoop out the core. Rub exposed surfaces with lemon juice.
In a bowl, combine butter, cranberries, ginger, hazelnuts and maple syrup. Squeeze in any remaining lemon juice. With your hands or a spoon, smunch all of the ingredients together. (Yes, smunch is a culinary term!)
Fill apples with the mixture. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar blend. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
Choose a firm, flavorful apple variety for baking, like Granny Smith, Braeburn or Fuji.