- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers or green chiles such as Anaheim or Poblano
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) jar green enchilada sauce (mild or medium)
- 2 large avocados, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 large lime, juiced, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh avocado, tomato and cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Lime wedges and hot sauce, for garnish
In a soup pot over medium heat, add oil and cook onions, bell peppers and oregano for 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in enchilada sauce, avocados and 3 cups stock. Purée in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Return to the pot and heat gently. If you would like the soup a little thinner, add additional stock. Season with lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped avocado, tomato and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member