- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers or green chiles such as Anaheim or Poblano
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) jar green enchilada sauce (mild or medium)
- 2 large avocados, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 large lime, juiced, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh avocado, tomato and cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Lime wedges and hot sauce, for garnish
In a soup pot over medium heat, add oil and cook onions, bell peppers and oregano for 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in enchilada sauce, avocados and 3 cups stock. Purée in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Return to the pot and heat gently. If you would like the soup a little thinner, add additional stock. Season with lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped avocado, tomato and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.