- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 to 12 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch lengths (tough ends removed)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, lightly drained
- 2 cups cooked white beans
- 1 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 pound penne (or your favorite shape) pasta, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts, pitted kalamata olives, fresh sage and/or Italian sausage
In a heavy pot, heat oil until the surface begins to move. Stir in garlic, mushrooms and asparagus and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
Add tomatoes, white beans, basil and Parmesan and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice. Stir in pasta and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Heat through and serve garnished with grated Parmesan and chopped fresh basil.