- 7 to 8 cups vegetable stock
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (or 1 pound fresh artichokes, trimmed and julienned)
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan and keep warm.
Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté about 2 minutes, then add artichokes and sauté 3 to 4 minutes (8 to 10 minutes, if fresh). Add garlic and thyme. Turn the heat to medium-high, add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until it evaporates.
Reduce heat to medium and add 1 cup simmering stock, stirring constantly. As soon as the stock has absorbed, add another 1/2 cup stock. Stir constantly until the stock has absorbed. Repeat this process until the rice is creamy and al dente, about 20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and vigorously stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Top with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member