- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried currants or dried cherries
- 2 Fuji apples, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Toast almonds until fragrant in a 375º F oven, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a fine sieve and drain. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa, return to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is tender but still chewy, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and let cool.
For the dressing, whisk together honey, shallots, curry powder, salt and lemon juice in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Whisking constantly, add olive oil in a slow, steady stream and whisk until emulsified. Add quinoa, almonds, currants, apples and parsley; toss well.