Gooey grilled cheese
This article was originally published in February 2014
While the ooey-gooey comfort of grilled cheese is a childhood favorite, this simple sandwich can be transformed into a gourmet dish. Try these four “grown-up” versions of the classic or experiment on your own with different kinds of bread, cheese and toppings.
- Lightly spread both sides of bread slices with butter and then assemble sandwich.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place sandwich in the warm skillet and cook on one side until golden brown and cheese begins to melt, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Flip sandwich over and cook until golden brown and cheese is completely melted, 2 to 4 additional minutes. If cheese is not melting fast enough, or you prefer a softer/less crunchy sandwich, place a lid partially over the pan during the cooking process.
- Let cool 2 minutes before cutting, so the cheese doesn’t ooze out!
Four cheesy combos to try
Fig & Manchego with Caramelized Onions
- Bread: Potato
- Spread: Fig jam
- Cheese: Shredded Manchego
- Topping: Caramelized onions, spinach
Roasted Beets & Gouda with Pesto
- Bread: Rye
- Spread: Basil pesto
- Cheese: Gouda
- Topping: Roasted beets
Gorgonzola & Hazelnut Butter with Arugula
- Bread: Foccaccia
- Spread: Hazelnut butter
- Cheese: Crumbled Gorgonzola
- Topping: Arugula
Barlett Pear & White Cheddar with Dijon
- Bread: Multigrain
- Spread: Dijon mustard
- Cheese: White cheddar
- Topping: Bartlett pears
Stop by PCC
We have all the ingredients you’ll need for your grilled cheese sandwich, including freshly baked local breads, local cheeses and an assortment of spreads.