- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 to 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup masa harina or fine cornmeal
- 2 (4-ounce) cans green chilies, drained
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups cooked white beans (Great Northern, small white or Cannelleni), drained and rinsed
- 2 limes, juiced
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until onions are soft and translucent. Add ground turkey and cook for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, stirring to break up the meat into small pieces as it browns. Stir in bell peppers, jalapeños and spices; cook until peppers soften, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on masa harina. Stir in green chilies, tomatillos and chicken broth. Mix well. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in beans and continue cooking until beans are hot through, about 15 minutes. Squeeze in fresh lime juice and add salt to taste.
To store: Cool to room temperature and divide between 1-quart freezer tubs or bags. Label and date.
- Top baked potatoes.
- Add cooked macaroni for chili mac.
- Use as a burrito filling.
- Top with cornbread batter and bake for tamale pie.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member