- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, cored and chopped
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 pounds tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Heat butter and oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add fennel, shallots and garlic and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, white wine, bay leaf and enough vegetable stock to cover. Bring to a simmer and cook gently for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Puree soup in batches using a blender or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. Stir in cream and heat through; adjust seasoning as necessary.
Serve warm, garnished with corn kernels and basil.