- 1 cup millet
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 2 fennel bulbs – stalks removed, halved and cut into 1-inch wedges
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 4 tangerines, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add millet and toast, stirring frequently, until light brown and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Carefully add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425° F. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Toss with fennel and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet in the oven until fennel is tender and golden, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes to prevent sticking.
Whisk together remaining oil, orange juice, balsamic vinegar and mustard. Combine dressing, cooked millet, fennel, tangerines, avocado, olives and mint in a large bowl. Serve immediately.