- 8-ounce package tempeh
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 8 ounces shiitake or crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Crumble the tempeh in a food processor by pulsing 5 to 6 times.
In a medium pot, combine oil and tempeh and sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, herbs and mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes.
Add red wine and marsala and let simmer for 5 minutes until the wine has evaporated. Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and let simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with cooked pasta or polenta.
If desired, add seasonal vegetables such as green beans, carrots, celery, zucchini, green peas, broccoli, kale or chard. This recipe freezes well.