- 1 medium butternut squash, halved and seeded
- I cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 (8-ounce) package soy or 5-grain tempeh, diced in 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/3 to 1/4 cup sliced, toasted hazelnuts
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1/4 cup finely minced parsley (plus several sprigs reserved for garnishing)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced (preferably chanterelle or shiitake)
- 1 teaspoon mixed poultry herb blend
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine as needed, to moisten stuffing
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Place squash cut side down on the baking sheet and roast until partially baked (just slightly soft), about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, but leave the oven on. Use tongs to flip squash skin side down, and cool slightly while you prepare the stuffing.
Combine water and tamari in a medium bowl. Add diced tempeh and marinate for 10 minutes.
Add olive oil to a heavy skillet and warm over medium heat. Remove marinated tempeh from liquid and lightly brown for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
Combine rice, hazelnuts, celery, parsley, onions, mushrooms, and herb blend in a large bowl. Add tempeh, scraping any oil and bits into bowl. Toss to combine.
Taste and add salt, pepper and the wine in small amounts, lightly tossing and tasting. Pack lightly into cavity of partially baked butternut squash.
Cover squash with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until squash is completely tender.
You may substitute other types of winter squash for the butternut, including acorn, kabocha or a small pumpkin. Cooking times are posted for a squash of about 2 1/2 lbs, and may need adjustment if your squash is larger.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member