- 2 cups whole black olives, pitted
- 1 3/4 ounces canned anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette, sliced
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Finely chop olives, anchovies and capers with a knife or food processor and place in a bowl. Add garlic, basil, lemon zest and juice. Stir in oil and season well with salt and pepper.
Place bread slices on a baking sheet and toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn each piece and toast for another 1 to 2 minutes, until golden and crisp.
Spread tapenade on toasted baguette slices and serve.