- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh sausage (see note)
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 pounds garnet or jewel yams, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; crumble and cook until no longer pink. Add onion, garlic, thyme and fennel seeds; cook until onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove mixture from pan.
Heat remaining oil in skillet and add yams. Cook until golden and tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Return sausage mixture to the skillet. Stir in kale and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Using a spoon, make 4 shallow indentations in the hash and crack 1 egg into each indentation. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until whites are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Use your favorite pork, turkey, chicken or vegetarian sausage for this recipe.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member