- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen pizza dough
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- Prepared pesto or pizza sauce
- 12 to 16 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Assorted toppings (see note)
- Basil leaves, for garnish
Allow dough to thaw and rise according to package instructions. Combine olive oil and garlic in a small bowl.
Divide dough in 2 pieces and form each into a flattened ball. Brush each round with garlic-infused oil and cover. Allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes, or until dough is malleable enough to stretch. Have all of your topping options and equipment ready before you begin grilling. The process goes quickly!
Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat; oil the grates.
With your fingers, press each dough round into a very flat circle. This doesn’t have to be perfect!
Brush the top surface of each circle with a light coating of garlic-infused oil. Place the dough, oiled side down, on the grill. Grill until the bottom is deep golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Oil the top side and flip it over.
Working quickly, spread a thin layer of pesto or sauce on the grilled crust. Arrange slices of mozzarella in a single layer on top and scatter with Parmesan. Arrange toppings. Close the lid and cook until pizza is heated through and the bottom crust is deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve scattered with fresh basil leaves.
Assorted toppings (use one or choose them all!):
- Roasted red pepper slices
- Grilled onion slices
- Grilled zucchini slices
- Halved cherry tomatoes or tomato slices
- Leafy greens
- Grilled mushrooms
- Marinated artichoke hearts
- Roasted garlic
- Smoked salmon