- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed or minced
- 1 small purple onion, peeled and diced
- 1 to 2 inch knob ginger root, unpeeled, grated
- 3 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed, sliced diagonally then into large matchsticks
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, unpeeled, diced
- 1 small zucchini, unpeeled, diced
- 1 pound soft tofu, drained, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons white or brown miso
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Optional: 1/3 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, minced (part for the pot, part for garnish)
Put broth on to boil in a tea kettle or small pot set over medium-high heat.
In a separate soup pot, set over medium heat, add sesame oil and sauté garlic, onions, ginger and mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes. Add diced peppers and sauté for an additional 3 minutes, then add carrots, squash and zucchini and cook for 3 more minutes.
Add the tofu and boiling broth, and turn up to high heat. When the broth returns to a boil, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or so.
Add miso to blender, with 1 cup soup liquid and blend briefly. Pour into soup pot, stir and taste. Add a bit more miso if necessary. Season with toasted sesame oil and optional cilantro as desired.
Note: For a strong-flavored and darker-colored broth, use 2/3 mellow white or brown miso and 1/3 dark miso paste – or simply use all darker miso, for a strong color and flavor. The sodium content of dark miso is higher, but flavor is stronger, so you may use less.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member