- 1/4 cup fruity olive oil
- 1/2 cup leek, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms (or 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in hot water and chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup good dry white wine
- 5 to 6 cups flavorful vegetable or chicken broth (see note)
- 2 cups sugar or snow peas, strings removed
- 1/2 cup diced summer squash (zucchini, patty pan, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated, aged Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil and cook the leeks and mushrooms until tender. From this point on the pan will need constant watching. Over medium-high heat add the rice and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Add the white wine and stir until the liquid is absorbed into the rice. Pour in 1 cup of the broth and once again stir until absorbed. Add an additional cup of the broth and stir, once again, until fully absorbed. Proceed in this fashion with all the remaining broth except 1/2 cup, until the rice is cooked al dente.
At this point stir in the peas and summer squash and allow the mixture to cook for 1 to 2 minutes. As the final step, stir in the basil and remaining 1/2 cup of the stock. This should make the rice a little bit juicy. Immediately stir in the Parmesan. The cheese will melt into the stock, which hasn’t been absorbed, and form a creamy sauce around the rice.
Serve immediately, garnished with sprigs of basil.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member