- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-size zucchini, medium diced
- 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 medium yellow, orange or red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for brushing the outside of the peppers
Preheat the oven to 375º F. Rinse quinoa thoroughly in water using a fine strainer, then drain. Place water, salt, mint leaves and quinoa in a small saucepot. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn heat off and let quinoa sit 20 minutes. Let cool in a mixing bowl.
In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, garlic, dried herbs and spices in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and garbanzo beans; sauté for 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, then stir mixture into cooked quinoa.
Cut off tops of the peppers and save. Remove seeds with a spoon and fill peppers with the stuffing. Replace caps and place in a greased baking dish. Brush outside of the peppers with oil and bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Serve hot with a mixed green salad.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member