- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick or regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or flaked coconut (optional)
- 4 cups hulled and roughly chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8- by 12-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
Mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in butter with your hands or a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs; fold in almonds or coconut. Press 2/3 of the oat mixture into the prepared pan.
Combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and lemon zest in a bowl. Toss until strawberries have absorbed the sugar. Spread strawberry mixture evenly over the prepared crust. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over the top of the strawberries and pat lightly.
Bake until light brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely and then cut into squares.