- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of saffron
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- Bread, for serving (optional)
In a large heavy pot with tight fitting lid, warm oil or butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks, fennel and tomato paste. Cook together for 5 to 8 minutes until softened.
Add bay, thyme, parsley, red pepper flakes, saffron, garlic, wine and mussels; turn the heat to high and cover. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Stir or shake the pan and then check to see if all the mussels are opened; it may take 3 or 4 more minutes.
Serve with bread in deep bowls with the wine broth.