- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or more)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- Small bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 cup orzo
In a heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, cumin, red pepper flakes and oregano. Sauté until vegetables have softened and spices are fragrant, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add tomatoes, tomato juice from can and stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Add kale and most of the cilantro (set aside 2 to 3 tablespoons cilantro for garnish). Simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until kale has softened and flavors have come together.
While soup is simmering, cook orzo separately until al dente. When soup is ready, adjust salt and pepper to taste. Spoon hot soup into bowls. Add a scoop of orzo to each bowl. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member