- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 5 carrots, shredded or cut into ribbons
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- 10 dried pitted plums (prunes), diced
- 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped (see note)
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons cumin, toasted (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
Bring a large pot of water and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil. Add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes, until tender but crisp. Drain and run broccoli under cold water to cool and prevent further cooking. Mix broccoli, carrots, parsley, plums and almonds in a large bowl.
In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, maple syrup, cumin, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Slowly add olive oil and keep whisking. Taste and adjust seasonings. Toss salad with dressing and serve.
Note: To toast cumin, heat a pan over medium-¬high heat and add cumin. Stir continually for 1 to 2 minutes, until you can smell the toasty aroma and cumin changes color slightly.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member