- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Half of a 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bunch greens of choice, chopped
- 3 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup stock
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Grind all spices together.
Place the potatoes in a steamer basket and steam until fork tender. Set aside.
Heat a 3- to 4-quart skillet. Add the olive oil. Add the onions, stirring to coat with the oil. Next, add the ground spices and garlic, mixing into the onions. Add the carrots, coating again with the oil and spices.
Pour in the 2 to 3 cups of stock. Add the beans and the chopped greens. Cover and cook until the carrots and greens are tender.
Add the potatoes. Remove 1/2 cup of the cooking stew and purée in a blender. Return to the skillet. Add the currents, vinegar, and chopped parsley. Serve immediately over brown basmati rice.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member