- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 8 ounces farfalle pasta, uncooked
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, Italian herbs, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute. Add ground beef or sausage and cook until done; drain grease if desired.
Scatter zucchini and pasta over meat and pour tomatoes and marinara over top. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle cheeses over top and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes to melt cheese. (Optional: place skillet under the broiler to melt cheese). Sprinkle with basil leaves before serving.