- 1 pound PCC Chicken Italian Sausage links
- 1 16-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 to 8 button or crimini mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 3 cups chopped leafy greens, such as chard or kale
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- Thinly sliced red bell pepper rings, to garnish (optional)
Remove sausage from casings. In a heavy sauté pan, brown sausage, breaking it into smaller chunks. Drain the fat and stir in marinara sauce. If you want to make this in advance, keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Cook lasagna sheets according to package directions and cut into rounds with a cookie cutter. You’ll need 12 small (2 1/2-inch) and 24 larger (3-inch) rounds.
In a large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms and peppers for 5 minutes or until onions are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has been absorbed. Stir in leafy greens and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until greens are tender and liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the grated mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan for topping. Fold ricotta and remaining cheeses into the mushroom mixture.
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicone liners. (Paper will get soggy.) Place 1 small pasta round in the bottom of each liner. Place about 1 tablespoon of meat sauce in each and top with a generous scoop of the cheese filling. Layer in 1 larger pasta round and repeat the ingredients. Top each cup with 1 last larger pasta round and a scoop of meat sauce. Sprinkle with the reserved shredded mozzarella and Parmesan and top with a red bell pepper ring. Cover with a sheet of parchment and wrap the whole pan in foil.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and parchment and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.