- 1 cup dried beans (such as cannellini, navy, kidney, adzuki, black-eyed peas, etc. in any combination)
- 1/2 cup whole grains such as wheat berries, emmer or barley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lentils (optional)
- 2 cups frozen tortellini
- 2 cups coarsely chopped winter greens such as chard, kale or collards
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Soak beans and grains together in about 3 cups cold water overnight. Drain.
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. zdauté vegetables and herbs for 5 minutes. Add 6 cups stock, tomatoes and soaked beans. grains and lentils. Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beans are tender (add a little more stock if the mixture is too thick).
Stir in tortellini and greens and cook for 5 to 8 minutes more or until pasta is just al dente. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I like to stir in a big handful of cheese and garnish the top with some as well!