- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Bring stock to a boil in a pot. Pour in oats, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until oats have reached desired tenderness.
TOPPING IDEAS for savory oatmeal
Try one of the following combinations:
- Roasted beets, goat cheese, toasted almonds, basil
- Pumpkin purée, caramelized leeks, sage
- Sautéed mushrooms, feta, wilted kale
- Chopped apples, Gruyère, rosemary, toasted walnuts
- Shoyu, scallions, a soft-cooked egg
- Tempeh bacon, black beans, avocado slices
- Pesto, grilled chicken, toasted pine nuts
For rolled oats, reduce stock to 2 cups.